With this project however I have took an aspect preached to us in the first year of university to heart - 'Iterative Development'.
Rather than like previously where I ran with a single idea, I have considered several different ones and sketched out simple designs that showed the concept I was going for. I don't think it was until the end of the first week that I actually opened up 3Ds Max and began modelling an idea and for this I am pleased.
Whilst I don't have as much solid progress to show in the form of models and the like, I am highly confident in the stage I am currently at and am comfortable enough with the software that I will be able to produce my final model quickly using reference from sketches I have done and inspiration images I have gathered.
There were a several different aspects I had to consider when designing my robot character including its size and how it would move.
Through toying with different ideas my final idea is to have a character suspended from a rail that it can move along similar to 'Wheatley' from Portal 2, with large bulky arms that hang down below it and are heavy for it to lift, and a cage like body that has metal plates over it with some of the internal mechanisms exposed, adding more detail to it.
Simple sketch similar in style to tutors example.
Sketch considering a design for robot hand with 'furnace' and vents on back of palm.
Idea for exhaust vents or chimneys to be located on the robot.
More detailed sketch of a static arm incorporating the hand design and other steampunk elements.
Robot with body with an arm reaching over the top, back exhaust pipes, and exposed front mechanisms.
More complex design for a robot with an arm that extends out of side panels, switching between each side for each move. Exposed front mechanisms and back exhausts incorporated as well.
First suspended robot drawing.
Much more advanced suspended robot drawing incorporating several previous design elements.